If I had one wish, what would it be? This is a fabulous question to ask, be it to students , teachers or admin. In terms of re-imagining school, one wish however may not be enough.
A few staff have got together this lunchtime and we are challenged with the task of responding to Sonya Terborgs blog ‘ Imagine A School’. Writing under pressure like this is a challenge in itself, so I will try to summarise my responses as quickly and as efficiently as I can!
In preparation for this session, I read the manifesto that Sonya’s blog was based on, Seth Godin’s ‘Stop Stealing Dreams’ and pulled out the ideas that resonated with me the most.
So, if I wanted to re-imagine school right now, these are some of the things that I would wish for as a teacher – I would:
- Make dreamers the norm rather than the dangerous ones among us
- Ask myself: Is the curriculum I teach now going to make our society stronger?
- Amplify the passion and destroy the fear
- Champion the brave!
- Tell students and colleagues the truth rather than hiding things in order to protect the hierarchy and power systems in place
- Teach young people to care
- Create a space for students where they want to learn to do things
- Encourage restlessness!
So, despite having listed a few wishes above, perhaps they can in fact all be incorporated into one wish after all: I would hope that I, and those responsible for educating our young people, will be able to practise the values that we believe in.